- Women have the right to care that is safe, satisfying, and respectful of their individual needs.
- Wellness encompasses emotional and spiritual well-being together with physical health.
- Birth is a healthy, natural, and normal process for which a woman's body is brilliantly designed.
- Human touch and technology each have their place, and can coexist.
- Women and families have the right and responsibility to assume an active role in their own wellness.
- Education is an essential part of quality health care. When women and their families have real access to information and their choices are respected they are best equipped to meet the challenges of parenthood and personal wellness.
- Each woman has the right to informed consent or refusal in the use of medical tests, recommendations and interventions.
- Midwives are experts in normal birth, and their role is to support and promote the normal process, while monitoring the mother and baby's safety, intervening only when necessary.
- The ideal healthcare environment is one of collaboration between all professionals with specialized knowledge and skills.
- Every woman has the right to give birth where she feels most safe and comfortable.
- Medical interventions, drugs and surgery are appropriately indicated for only a small number of women during birth. They should not be used routinely.
- Because women's health and childbearing affect more than just mothers and babies, our care should support and promote the well-being of the entire family.
- Human beings at all stages of development and in all life circumstances deserve respect, compassion, and the opportunity to live life to their greatest potential.
- We foster authentic caring relationships with our clients and utilize the best practices based on current research evidence. This care is woman-focused, and encourages women to take an active role in wellness through education and communication.
- We offer healthy women experiencing normal pregnancies the option of birthing in a calm, safe and beautiful setting with care provided by well trained, experienced and credentialed practitioners.
- We care for people using holistic principles - recognizing that each individual encompasses physical, emotional, social and spiritual elements that work synergistically to create a whole.
- We foster a sense of community among women, families, and providers.
- We educate the general public about the midwifery model of care and build bridges within the medical community to promote professional, collaborative relationships.
- We use healthcare resources wisely by providing cost-effective out-of-hospital birth options and promoting wellness in the community.